Tuesday, March 9, 2010

French Peasant Bread with No mixer and No kneading!


My cousin Katie introduced me to this bread and I am an addict now. LOVE it. You just mix these ingredients in a regular bowl. No mixer needed and no kneading. Oh, and it's DE-licious.

French Peasant Bread

1 package dry yeast ( do NOT use rapid rise for this)
2 c warm water
1 T sugar
2 t salt
4 c flour
oil
corn meal
melted butter

Place yeast, water, sugar and salt in warm bowl and stir until dissolved. Add flour and stir until blended. Do not knead. Cover and let rise one hour or until doubled in size. Oil hands, remove dough from bowl and place in 2 rounds on an oiled cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Let rise an additional hour. Brush the top with melted butter and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375 and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush again with butter. Serve warm.

* I have never adjusted the oven temp and it turns out great. Just one less step! YEAH! Oh, and I thought I could be a little saltier so I decreased the sugar to about 3/4 T and just did two heaping teaspoons of Salt. YUM.

0 comments:

Post a Comment