Friday, March 5, 2010

Classic Red Chili

Pic courtesy of My Kitchen Cafe

I can squeeze one more soup recipe in before the end of winter, right? I made this for the first time on Tuesday night and I was just expecting it to be a regular, old chili. But, let me tell you, it was the BEST chili I've ever had. Now, I'm not a chili connoisseur by many means, but I do love soup, beans, and sweet BBQ flavor and this chili was all this and more. It was sweet, chunky, and the perfect ratio of meat to beans. Warning: if you like really spicy chili, this is not for you. However, if you want to just add a couple teaspoons or so of crushed red pepper flakes that should give it some kick. So, next time you're feeling a little "chili-e," (I had to throw that in there:)) I highly reccommend this to warm you right up.

Classic Red Chili
adapted from My Kitchen Cafe


*Makes 12-14 servings

1 1/2 medium onions, diced (or more if you really like onions)
2 teaspoons salt
2 pounds ground beef or turkey
6 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained (I subbed 2 cans of pinto for red kidney and great northern beans for a little more "color")
46 oz. (one large can) tomato juice
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

Brown the ground meat and onion in a large skillet. Drain grease. In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup water with the garlic salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin and brown sugar.

In a large pot, combine tomato juice, beans, tomato sauce, and ketchup. Stir in ground meat and onions and seasoning/water mixture. Mix well. Stir in bay leaves.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat for an hour, stirring occasionally (this can simmer for as long as 4-5 hours).

Serve plain, topped with cheese, crackers, Fritos, or whatever your heart desires.


***************

Don't forget to enter the GIVEAWAY for the Demarle Silpat! Contest ends Tuesday!!! GOOD LUCK!



0 comments:

Post a Comment