Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup


This is my all-time favorite soup. Maybe that's because it has my favorite vegetable in it! I love, love, love broccoli. This soup is so easy too. I took the kids to the park, got home at 5:30, and dinner was on the table by 6. So fast. My kids love this too- I mean, what kids like soup with broccoli? You have got to make this one- it delivers for sure!

Broccoli Cheese Soup

From My Kitchen Cafe

1 can chicken broth
1 small onion, diced

1/3 c. flour
1/4 c. butter
Pepper to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon)

2 c. milk (I used 1% with great results)
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. shredded swiss cheese
steamed chopped broccoli (the amount of broccoli really boils down to preference - I wanted a lot of broccoli in my soup, so I chopped and steamed approximately 2 1/2 to 3 cups of broccoli florets)

Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft. Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes. In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour and pepper. Cook together for a couple of minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium-high heat until soup starts to thicken. Next add chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and steamed broccoli. Serve immediately.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I just want you all to know that I am LOVING this blog! I have made a bunch of your recipes and they were so so good! Keep up the good work.

Post a Comment