Thursday, April 12, 2012

Quinoa with Cilantro and Black Beans

Cilantro. Enough said. Why is that stuff soooo amazing? I love it. Especially in warm weather. And enough about Quinoa already!!! :) I have been hearing and hearing about this super food and have eaten it once or twice but never prepared it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As did all my kids. I was shocked. This recipe is VEGAN (I know, I know...who knew? I certainly didn't think about that) except for the fact that I added chicken b/c I was afraid my husband might tell me to find another home if I cooked a meal without meat. :)

QUINOA WITH CILANTRO AND BLACK BEANS

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped (I used about 3T minced onions)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped (I used the refrigerated minced garlic)
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I am sure you could use whatever broth you have around)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 c of grilled chicken chopped *OPTIONAL*
Squeeze of fresh lime (this was not in the original recipe but I will certainly try this next time)

Fry onions and garlic in oil in sauce pan on medium heat until lightly brown. Mix Quinoa in and add broth. Add seasonings. Cover and reduce heat and cook for twenty minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed. Add corn in and stir. Cook add'l five. minutes. Then add in rinsed black beans and chopped cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over and toss. I served this is the main entree along with fresh fruit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment