Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chicken Azteca

I thought I had already posted this recipe but I did a search and didn't see it....so, here it is! I love this recipe. Got it from my BFF and cousin, Katie. It's so friendly in every way. It's quick- usually you have the ingredients-, kids and adults love it, and its very very versatile. And it cooks in a crock pot. I love the crock pot. Especially in the Georgia summers where my AC cannot keep up with 115 heat index outside. YIKES!

Picture courtesy of the tastebook.com (this is SO not what mine looks like by the way)

Chicken Azteca

Combine the following ingredients in the crockpot on high for 5-6 hours:
3-4 Chicken Breasts
2 c. frozen or canned corn
1 can black beans
24 oz. mild salsa (this is usually about one and a half jars so I like to use one jar mild and 1/2 medium)
Ground Cumin to taste (about a tsp.)
Garlic Powder to taste(about a tsp.)

When you are about an hour away from serving chicken should be tender and shreddable. At this point add 8 oz. of cream cheese. I usally cut it up and then throw it in for easy melting. However, this meal can be eaten three ways:
1) As quesadilla filling (I definitely do this with the left overs and put it in my George Foreman)
2) On a salad
3) Over rice

I usually serve it over an option of rice or salad and then do the quesadilla thing for leftovers. I make enough rice for family in my rice cooker. Then I cut up tortillas into strips and bake them in the oven on low broil for 5-10 min. Flip once. Serve with cheese and sour cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment