Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

When I first took a bite of this, we'll call it "spaghetti", I wasn't entirely convinced that I would like it. It was certainly different, to say the least. But, after eating (and totally enjoying) my serving, watching my kids eat theirs, and hearing them beg for seconds, I knew this one was going to be one of our new favorites. After dinner was over, I found myself craving more and I literally could not wait until lunchtime the next day to devour the left-overs. I don't know if it was the San Marzano tomatoes or the simplicity of the ingredients that made this so delicious, but I do know that I will definitely be making it again and again.

Pictures courtesy of Smitten Kitchen
Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter
From Smitten Kitchen

Serves 4 as a main course; makes enough sauce to lightly coat most of a pound of spaghetti

28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes from a can (San Marzano, if you can find them)*
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste

Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan (it fit just right in a 3-quart) over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste and keep warm while you prepare your pasta. I actually mashed the tomatoes, in the saucepan, with a potato masher.

Serve with spaghetti, with or without grated parmesan cheese to pass.

*I found these at Market Street grocery store. You can also purchase at Whole Foods, or any store that caters to a specialty market. If you can't find them, use whatever brand you prefer, and I'm sure it will still turn out delicious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment