Monday, February 1, 2010

Homemade Blueberry Muffins

I made these this weekend because we just love homemade bread around here. I also love blueberries and was really looking forward to finding a great recipe because I absolutely adore the Betty Crocker box mix but am trying to eliminate processed foods from our family's diet. These muffins are just as fluffy and light as the box mix- though not as sweet, which is probably a good thing. I doubled the recipe and it made 3 dozen muffins (I froze the left-overs for quick snacks). Do NOT use your Bosch/Kitchenaid to mix these- the less you mix, the better. I really, really enjoyed these.
picture courtesy of Sisters Cafe
Blueberry Muffins
The Sisters Cafe

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
zest of one lemon (optional- I used this, but could not taste it at all)
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening (or butter*)
1 cup frozen blueberries

Topping (this makes extra - you can try cutting it down if you want):
(I didn't make this- saved some calories...you don't need it, but I'm sure it tastes great!)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Tb lemon juice (juice of one lemon)
1/2 cup sugar

Mix dry ingredients and set aside. Beat eggs, milk and butter/shortening with a hand mixer. Add dry ingredients and stir gently to combine- batter will be lumpy. Fold in blueberries gently. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Combine butter and lemon juice. While the muffins are still warm, dip the tops in the butter and lemon juice, then dip in sugar. Makes 12 muffins.

*I substitute butter because I love the taste! It works great either way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment