Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken


Pic courtesy of My Kitchen Cafe

I have tried many, many sweet and sour chicken
recipes over the years and they've all been so-so. Until I tried this one on My Kitchen Cafe. Not only is it relatively easy (for a dredging recipe), but it tastes almost as good as the deep-fried stuff at P.F. Chang's (trust me, I used to work there). I make this ALL the time now and Christian even requested it last week as his "break-the-fast" meal. Next time you're feeling like some Chinese, try this and, I promise, when you're done eating, you WON'T feel like you just drove through Panda Express.

I have something REALLY, REALLY exciting coming up in the next few days...so stay tuned!!!

Sweet and Sour Chicken
adapted from My Kitchen Cafe

Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbl canola oil (the real recipe calls for 1/4 cup, but 2 Tbl will do just fine)

Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.

Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced - about 6-8 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment