Thursday, October 8, 2009

Skillet Penne with Chicken and Broccoli

I love this recipe...I craved it the entire time I was in Spain so I made it right when I got home and it was just as delicious as I'd hoped it would be. It really tastes like candy to me. I'm sure you could use milk instead of cream and still get a delicious result. Enjoy!



Skillet Penne with Chicken and Broccoli
adapted from America's Test Kitchen

1 lb. chicken breasts, sliced into 1 inch pieces
Salt and Pepper
3 Tbs. butter
1 onion, minced
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz. penne- or favorite pasta (2 ½ cups)
2 ½ c. chicken broth
½ c. heavy cream
1 bunch broccoli (1 ½ lbs.), stems discarded and florets cut into 1 inch pieces
1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and chopped as fine as desired
½ c. parmesan cheese

1. Pat chicken dry, season with salt and pepper. Melt 1 Tbs. of butter in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until its lightly browned but not fully cooked, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add 1 more Tbs. butter, onion, red pepper flakes, oregano, and ½ tsp. salt to skillet. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
3. Sprinkle penne evenly into skillet. Pour the broth and cream over it. Cover and bring to boil, about 5 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to med-low and stir in the broccoli and roasted peppers. Cover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until the pasta begins to soften and the broccoli turns bright green, about 8 minutes.
5. Stir in the chicken and any accumulated juice. Cover and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
6. Stir in remaining butter and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3 comments:

Jessica Sedgwick said...

This was delicious!

Melissa said...

Milk worked great instead of the cream. The noodles could have used more liquid, but we live in the desert so I guess I should have expected that. Our entire family ate it- 6 stars.

haleyscomet said...

I love this recipe and have made it for years! I always ad a little extra broth for the sauce, and ALWAYS a squeeze of lemon juice at the end. It's a must! YUM.

Post a Comment