Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Black Bean Soup with Sausage

I've been on a soup kick lately, too. This is the second time I've made soup this week. I made the creamy white chicken chili posted below, and it was very yummy. I found this soup in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and my family devoured it. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture until I noticed the leftovers (not quite enough to save) dumped into the sink. I didn't think that would be too appetizing of a picture, so you'll just have to make it to see how it looks.

Black Bean Soup with Sausage
Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Soups and Stews

2 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup celery
1 tsp. ground coriander (I didn't have this, so I omitted it)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. cooked smoked turkey sausage or Polish sausage, chopped (I cooked mine in a little olive oil in the same pan that I later used for making the soup, leaving the drippings in the pan)
Dairy sour cream or shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)

In a large saucepan combine beans, broth, water, onion, celery, coriander, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in sausage; heat through.


0 comments:

Post a Comment