Thursday, August 1, 2013

Brunswick Stew with Johnny Cake

I have been on a serious BBQ kick lately! I realize stew is kinda a winter meal, but I think anything BBQ reminds me of summer. This is a good old-fashioned southern dinner idea. This is such a "man meal" and for the hardcore carnivore! All you vegans and vegetarians- look the other way! :)  I used some ideas from Jennefer's recipe in our family cookbook.

BRUNSWICK STEW WITH JOHNNY CAKE
1 lb browned ground beef or turkey
16 oz pulled pork (Or any other kind)
BBQ meat with sauce (I bought the kind in the grocery store-- you know, the CURLY'S brand)
2 Chicken breasts (I used some that I had previously cooked in the crock pot....rotisserie would also be great here)
1 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes undrained
2 cans sweet corn undrained
1 can creamed corn undrained
2 C water
1 C BBQ Sauce
1/2 C ketchup
3 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t cayenne pepper
S&P to taste
(I think this would also be great with green peppers and even carrots!) Combine in a pot! Mix and heat thoroughly. Serve with saltines or Johnny Cake (see below).

JOHNNY CAKE
2 pkg of Jiff Corn Muffin mix
1/4 c powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
2 T honey
2 eggs
2/3 c milk or more for consistency

Place in a greased pie dish or 8x8 pan and bake at 350 for 15-20 min. Serve with honey butter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment