Sunday, January 6, 2013

Whole Wheat Bread


After trying several whole wheat bread recipes, this is the one I like best.  It's incredibly soft and makes 4 loaves, so that will usually last our family for about 10 days (if I can keep everyone's hands off of it when it comes right out of the oven, otherwise one loaf is gone in about an hour).  I love it because it's 100% whole wheat healthy!

Whole Wheat Bread
from my sister-in-law, Cathy Ostergar

4 cups lukewarm water
1 tablet crushed or 1/4 tsp. ascorbic acid (or Vitamin C powder)
2 Tbs. yeast
1/2 cup gluten flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
5 cups whole wheat flour

Mix above together and let rise 10 minutes.

Then add:
1/3 cup of oil
1/3 cup of honey
1 Tbs salt
3-4 cups whole wheat flour

Knead in mixer for 10 minutes or by hand 15 minutes.
Let dough rest 10 minutes.
Divide and shape into loaf pans, then let raise 'til beautiful.
Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment