Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Creamy Tomato Soup

I made this soup tonight and it was absolutely FABULOUS- I wish I could jump out of the computer screen and make it for you.  We seriously loved it and it was so incredibly easy to put together.  In fact, I decided to make it very last minute and had to make something that I had all of the ingredients for already and this was it.  Even Tessa lapped this up...I'm so glad I came across this recipe- its definitely going in the regular rotation.
google images
Creamy Tomato Soup
Adapted from allrecipes.com

1 (29-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (10.5-oz.) can chicken broth
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. chopped onion
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 cups heavy whipping cream (or milk, if you want something lighter)
Cooked Pasta, of your choosing and amount (optional- see below)

In a large pot, mix all ingredients together, except heavy cream and pasta.  Bring to a simmer and leave it simmering for one hour.  Near the end of the hour, in a double boiler (or glass bowl over a small saucepan), heat the heavy cream until hot- do NOT boil or it will scorch.  Add desired spices to your soup (I sprinkled some dried basil and salt- you can use whatever you prefer). Once cream is heated through, add to soup.  I blended my soup in a blender at this point, b/c I knew my kids weren't going to like chunks of tomatoes- this is optional.  Then, stir in cooked pasta and serve.
*Adding pasta is optional- I added it so it would be more kid-friendly and it worked.  My kids loved this dish, and it was more hearty and filling that way.  You can add as much or as little as you like.



0 comments:

Post a Comment