Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bobby's Lighter Lasagna Soup

With the personal on-set of pinterest and a even more personal vendetta to live a healthier lifestyle...I have been on a quest. A quest for healthy, tasty, kid-friendly recipes. I have been disappointed over and over again. I have tried numerous recipes lately and this is the only one I have posted in months. So....its safe to say its pretty good. Its from the thedeenbrothers.com (as in Paula Deen's sons) but adapted by me. Apparently they have all been on the same hunt as I have- that of HEALTHY recipes!
INGREDIENTS:
-1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed (I think a GREAT sub. would be ground turkey if that's what you are into...my husband LOVES sausage)
-1 onion, chopped (I used dried minced onions)
-1 green bell pepper, chopped
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
-1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
-1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes ( I blended these because my family does not like tomato chunks!)
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
-4 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (I used reg. b/c I could not find WW)
-1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (I used about 2 T of dried basil)
-3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (The fresh stuff that comes in the jar)
-1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
-Crustinis to liking

CRUSTINI RECIPE:
Slice one baguette of the thin, crusty french bread. Slice in 1/2 inch pieces. Brush lightly with olive oil. Shake on garlic powder and Mrs.Dash (my new favorite spice selection for bread!) then top with a few shreds of Mozzarella. Bake for 5 min or until cheese is melted and bread is slightly brown.

DIRECTIONS:
Place meat, onion, bell pepper and garlic in pot and brown. (There won't be much grease if you are using turkey so you don't have to worry about using another pan!). Add broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, and red pepper. Bring to boil. Add uncooked broken up lasagna noodles. Cook on high for about 10-12 min. Then add basil and two cheeses. Garnish with a sprinkle a fresh Parmesan and crustinis!

0 comments:

Post a Comment