Sunday, January 29, 2012

Meatloaf

Really? Meatloaf. Yes indeed. When it comes to meatloaf  I always think of the "Christmas Story" when Ralphie asks what's for dinner and when his mom says meatloaf he responds, "AAAAAAAWWWWW, Meatloaf???". Oh the misery! Meatloaf is a funny thing. Generational wouldn't you say? Well, every once in a while I like to make it on a Sunday afternoon because it seems like a Sunday-y thing to make. And I get dang tired of roast. ANNND, this just happens to be my father-in-law's favorite recipe and is one of my husband's favorites too. This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law and it was handed down from her mother-in-law. Yup. Its that old. So, tried and true. Its pretty good.

Meatloaf

INGREDIENTS
1 lb hamburger
1/2 lb sausage (spicy if you like)
1 can evaporated milk
S &P
Minced onions (or the real thing...my family doesn't like the real thing)
1 T flour

Sauce:
1/4 c ketchup
dash nutmeg
3 T brown sugar
1 t mustard

Preheat oven to 350. Soak bread crumbs in the milk. Add remaining ingredients for the loaf. Mix until well combined. I used a ginormous fork because I cannot stand using my hands but my MIL uses hers hands. Combine sauce ingredients in a separate bowl with a whisk. Top loaf with sauce. Cook for 1 hour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment