Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Mom's Famous Freezer Bean and Beef Burritos

 With my kids being home all day every day, we have been going through food at an incredible rate.  Why is everyone so hungry all of the time?!  Add soccer practices right at dinnertime to the mix and I had to come up with a fast and hearty meal that everyone would love.  MKC is always my trusted source for meals that everyone in my house can get on board with and this one was no exception.   I just bought the Cilantro Lime Crema Dressing from Costco and it was so good drizzled on top.  I added some riced cauliflower at the end and it bulked up the burrito mix and added nutrition easily making 40 burritos.  Lastly, I bought these pre-cooked tortillas from Tortilla Familia and they worked great, saved time, and are delicious.

pic courtesy of MKC


Mom's Famous Freezer Bean and Beef Burritos 

Mels Kitchen Cafe

  • 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey/beef (I used 1 pound of each so it made a lot more)
  •  1 cup chopped onion
  •  1 teaspoon salt (I use coarse, kosher salt)
  •  1/4 teaspoon black pepper (I use coarsely ground pepper)
  •  3 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans- I used Trader Joe's
  •  3 cans (4 ounces) green chiles (mild, medium or hot, depending on preference)
  •  1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) green taco sauce or green enchilada sauce 
  •  1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) red taco sauce or red enchilada sauce
  •  1/2 cup (4 ounces) salsa, green or red
  •  1 teaspoon ground cumin
  •  1 teaspoon chili powder
  •  1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  •  1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • Frozen riced cauliflower, optional (adds zero flavor, but bulks it up and doesn't have texture once it heats so you can't see or taste it- I probably put 1 1/2 cups in)
  •  6 to 7 cups shredded cheese (I prefer using a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack)
  •  20 10-inch tortillas or 30 8-inch tortillas (I used these and they're delicious)

  1. In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef and onion with the salt and pepper until cooked through, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Drain excess grease.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the cheese and tortillas) and mix to combine. Heat through, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Let the mixture cool slightly. Spread about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the filling on each tortilla (depending on the size of the tortilla and how stuffed you want them). Sprinkle about 1/4 cup cheese (or so!) on the filling. Fold in the sides and then roll the burrito closed (see pictures in the post for a visual).
  4. I roll all the burritos and place them on a large sheet pan. After they are all rolled, I wrap each one individually in plastic wrap and then put them in gallon size ziploc bags and freeze.
  5. To reheat, unwrap burrito from plastic wrap and microwave for one minute. Poke holes in the semi-thawed burrito with a fork or cut the burrito in half and microwave for 1-minute intervals until heated through. They'll be piping hot! Eat carefully. 🙂

0 comments:

Post a Comment