Monday, August 1, 2011

Chicken Scampi

Pic courtesy of google images


We went to Olive Garden a few weeks ago for a date night and I was shocked that they had gotten rid of my favorite, go-to dish that I have ordered for years and years: chicken con broccoli. Not only was I disappointed, but what was I going to order now??? I read through the menu and finally decided on the chicken scampi. I had heard of shrimp scampi (scampi means a shrimp dish btw) but never chicken scampi. Oh. My. Goodness. It was perfection. I dreamed about it for two weeks until I finally found a worthy-seeming recipe online that I could hopefully replicate at home. Hence, this chicken scampi. I must admit, it wasn't AS good as Olive Garden (probably b/c they used a whole stick of butter in their sauce) but it was a very close second. So light, yummy, and different. We loved it.

Chicken Scampi
adapted from allrecipes.com

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 white cooking wine
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut in to 1-inch chunks
  • 1 red pepper, sliced thin
  • 1 green pepper, sliced thin
  • 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
  • package of angel hair pasta
  • parmesan cheese

Directions

  1. In a skillet heat the butter or margarine and oil over medium heat until the butter/margarine melts. Add the parsley, basil, oregano and garlic and salt and mix together in the skillet. Don't overcook garlic- just until it's golden. Stir in lemon juice and white wine.
  2. Then add the chicken and saute for about 3 minutes or until white. Add sliced peppers and onion. Lower the heat and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. More butter/margarine can be added if needed.
  3. Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente. After chicken is cooked through, add pasta to skillet and toss to incorporate sauce. Top with parmesan cheese, if desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment