Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Saucy Lentils and Veggies


Ok, I know this isn't the most exciting recipe title.  I combined two different recipes to make a meal...because two side dishes count as a full meal in my house! The first is a recipe for lentils in a sort of tomato sauce, and the second is roasted veggies.  The recipes are meant to be separate, but I stirred them together (after cooking separately) and it made my mouth sing! I loved it so much, that I made it twice in one week!  (My kids didn't love the roasted veggies, if I'm being honest- but what kid does?!  They were forced to eat a serving anyway.  And, they really liked the lentils!).  This is a great, fantastic, healthy meal that you can store in the fridge for several days and have it for lunch for the whole week- or thats what I did (saves you from that lunchtime rut)!  Also, I got these recipes from an IG account, "gotorecipes" that is super good- you HAVE to follow her!!

**Slight Edit: I just re-made this and served it over rice (as pictured above) and then went out on a limb and added avocados sprinkled with salt and pepper....soooo good!

Saucy Lentils
Adapted slightly from "gotorecipes"


1 yellow onion, diced 


1 Tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon Kosher salt

1 teaspoon pepper

4-5 cloves garlic, minced

2 - 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes with liquid

1 bunch thyme leaves (or tied with a string)

1 lb. bag lentils

3 cups vegetable broth (can use chicken broth too)


(Optional)

Rice, cooked


Diced avocados, sprinkled with s&p

In large pot, sauté onion in olive oil until soft with salt and pepper until golden brown. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, tomatoes with liquid, thyme and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover until liquid is absorbed, about 35 minutes (stir occasionally). Remove thyme sprigs before serving, if used. 


Roasted Veggies
Adapted slightly from "gotorecipes"

Carrots, diced
Sweet potatoes, diced
Thyme (fresh or dried)
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Brown sugar 
Maple Syrup

After dicing veggies to same sizes, sprinkle brown sugar and a couple of teaspoons of syrup along with the rest of the ingredients together (just season to liking). Spread evenly on foiled-lined pan and cook at 425F for about 30 minutes.  Once done, you can combine with the above lentils for a delicious combo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment